Welcome! In order to obtain the best results when you use the information included in this lesson, it is recommended that you view the following video several time and take the posttest (lesson review) before you ice your cake. Remember, practice, practice, practice to attain proficiency in icing a cake. Your second cake will be better than the first and so on.
In the following lesson you will learn:
- The correct temperature of your cake when icing with buttercream.
- How to cut a cake in half horizontally. (torte a cake)
- What spatula to use for filling your cake with buttercream.
- How to evenly stack your cakes so that you have a smooth top.
- Why and how to fix uneven cake sides.
- What is the proper size of a cake board.
- How to hold metal spatula’s when icing a cake.
- How to use the cake board as a guide to ice sides of cake
- How to create a 90 angle on the top edge of the cake.
- What are the characteristics of a cake iced in the American style.
- How and what to use to obtain smooth straight cake sides.
- How to ice with buttercream to obtain a level cake top.
- How to transfer a finished cake to a presentation platter.